Thursday, May 26, 2011

New Chinese replacement for water torture is "World of Warcraft"

In a Guardian article, a prisoner at the Jixi labor camp called "Liu Dali" describes how he and many others were made to do backbreaking manual labor during the day and farm for gold in games like World of Warcraft in 12-hour shifts at night.  "If I couldn't complete my work quota, they would punish me physically. They would make me stand with my hands raised in the air and after I returned to my dormitory they would beat me with plastic pipes. We kept playing until we could barely see things," he said.

According to the newspaper, an estimated 80 percent of all Warcraft gold farmers are in China, with 100,000 of them working full-time. The prisoner said online gaming was a far more lucrative activity for the managers of the labour camp than the physical labour the inmates were forced to do.

IMO: Apparently the game tokens can be readily exchanged for US dollars in the USA. It is a truly unpleasant view of what the future may hold for many people in the new dictatorships, disguised in some countries as 'games'.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]