Saturday, January 02, 2010

Avatar

"Avatar" is a movie probably worth seeing for a variety of reasons. SEE IT IN 3D IF CONVENIENT, I saw the 2D version only (in Hindi only as I am in Vasai at the moment) but the result to me looked about as good as "The Story of Nimh" (which was 2D in deep screen animation). Apparently this is Cameron's latest epic since "Titanic" which is now many years old. Well worth seeing if only for those two reasons.

Plotwise perhaps not quite so good unless you are a real eco-freak. I think people should certainly do a lot about global warming, the environment etc. but it is not my preoccupation. However the film should throw light, if tangentially, on modern developments in virtual reality. Many people do not realise that more sympathy was shown for avatars than for real people in versions of the Milgram experiment. One preliminary paper is referred to here. and a few typical reader's comments are here.

The above matter casts interesting and perhaps important doubt on current scientific work on consciousness - where in my view completely erroneously - the existence of human free will is being cast into doubt. This is a matter which I continually refer to in my other blog, and am currently writing a further paper about.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]