Monday, June 22, 2009

Morgan Tsvangirai

Morgan Tsvangirai today became the first Zimbabwe leader in two decades to be welcomed for talks at Downing St, but left almost empty-handed with a promise of just £5 million in extra British aid.

The tiny pledge, and the fact that the money will be channelled through aid agencies rather than the government in Harare, reflects continuing scepticism that Zimbabwe has changed since Mr Tsvangirai's power-sharing agreement with his former political enemy President Mugabe.

Mr Tsvangirai was booed after he told Zimbabwean exiles that they should return home to help rebuild the nation. Typical UK comment was "I am a victim of torture - and if I was to go back to Zimbabwe I have fears and nightmares of that happening to me again. I think he's a hypocrite. I also lost my mother. She was beaten - she was very old. Many other Zimbabweans have lost brothers and sisters. The people who did this to our relatives - they are still free.So for someone like Tsvangirai to say these things is very worrying."

IMO: Most Africans I know in the UK seem to be nice, decent people. But African leaders definitely seem to be another matter. From what he sounds like on the radio, Tsvangirai seems to walk the walk and talk the talk of such people We frequently hear of gross extravagances by such people, and have done so as long as I remember. But I have known UK relatives of African MPs and usually they have been nice people - much nicer than the regular Brits. Maybe it was the African diaspora who helped to vote in criminal gutter scum like our present MPs in the UK. And it looks as if slow caravan enthusiast Beckett will get made speaker over here - your average member of the hoi polloi would have wanted that chap who runs "Top Gear". FWIW I'm glad it is not Ann Widdecombe, who probably would have collapsed on issues as she sounds like another Susan Boyle, in her way - but the speaker's job apparently has a £2 million pension so some troughie is bound to get it I suppose.

Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]