Saturday, April 11, 2009

Guido Fawkes matter

IMO: I seem to agree with many of the points Fawkes makes and in fact placed my support of this fact on Fawkes's blog. However the following matters also come to mind, and I do not like them at all.

Nicky Campbell was forced to apologise after branding Fawkes a 'Fascist' on his BBC radio show.

IMO: I find it hard to imagine any of these commentators apologising unless they are obliged to, even in the circumstances outlined. So 'forced' ? ?

Perhaps more pointedly, "Modern Ghana", FWIW, states "The threat of legal action is having a huge impact online - many bloggers end up self-censoring as a result." and then goes on to say: "Within minutes of publishing it I was served with a legal notice (by Guido Fawkes) claiming I was trying to defame him (in a republished Guardian article), and eventually I had to take it down after some wrangling. I didn't have the legal backing to test his challenge in court."

The article in "Modern Ghana" gives some other cases where oligarchs and the like have behaved in the sort of bad way that reminds one of the antics of the late Bob Maxwell and the late Jimmy Goldsmith

IMO: I certainly admit that the Guardian can sometimes contain self-serving rubbish, and that its staff often seem to be almost criminally overpaid, but it seems that Fawkes has disobeyed the 'blogger's code', definitely a pity. Hussein Obama seems to have done the same, with regard to Auchi - whilst Obama is perhaps not a very active blogger, he tries to reach out in a worthwhile way by his public appearances. It is all very much a pity.


Comments: Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]





<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?

Subscribe to Posts [Atom]